Monday, December 8, 2008

Desperately Seeking Workspace




Finding a place to work on a vehicle is tough. Housing prices in Vancouver are obscene. The city, for those who are unfamiliar, is bounded by the US border to the South, mountains to the North, and the ocean to the west. The East is a river valley that converges about 80 miles inland. Generally, people work in the west and commute to their homes in the East. I'm lucky, I live in and work in the city. Prices are substantially reduced out "in the Valley", but access is served by a single, 6-lane freeway. Traffic is nuts on weekdays. Nevertheless, that's where I had to look. Also, because I would mainly be working on the weekends, I could manage the traffic troubles. I looked at a couple places, but the one that interested me the most was an old dairy barn. It was operated by a friendly guy about my age named Harry. The barn was about 55 minutes driving time from my house. Harry used it to repair race cars. Before that, it was leased by some guys who used it to grow weed. I'm guessing that, because its also located about 600 yards from the US border and there's nothing separating the two countries except a ditch, they were in the export business. Harry and I agreed on prices and, alas, I could phone Steve H and tell him I wanted the van.



No comments: