Monday, December 8, 2008

"Duncan" is Born

While looking for a place to work on the van I decided to see if I could learn more about it. I phoned the company that Steve said had originally owned it and they passed me the name of a retired employee named Paul. I phoned Paul and asked him if he was familiar with the van. He said he was. In fact, he said that it was bought by his father, the company's founder, and that he was the original driver. He said he used it to delivery groceries all around the Cowichan Valley. I emailed him a picture and he opened it up while I was on the phone with him. I think that seeing it 50 years later was kinda emotional for him. In any event, I told him that I intended to buy it and restore it. I promised that I would continue to keep him informed about the project. I also named the van "Duncan" after the town it had originally served. Duncan is also Pamela Anderson's home town which, if you ever go there, they're quick to point out.

No comments: