Sunday, September 20, 2009

Much Ado About Much


Last week I sent my binnacle off to have the holes (the ones that emerged after media blasting) in it filled in. At the same time, I dropped off the shock mounts to have new ones fabricated. Of the three I have only one is serviceable. I also dropped off my 15" wheels at a local shop that specializes in repairing aluminum wheels. They're going to straighten them, turn out the flanges, and media blast them. I'll then send them and the binnacle and steering column off to be powder coated. I'm spending a lot of time researching parts and stocking them. I phoned the owner of the J Van in Saskatchewn that's gradually melting into a field and he isn't ready to sell. He thinks its worth more than it is. I'm going to send him offer in the mail this week for the bits I need, plus some others that others need. But I'm going to tell him that in 90 days time they'll be worthless to me.

I have also renewed my effort to find out about Victoria. This has included queries to the provincial archives. The guy who is fixing the binnacle and doing the shocks -- Mark -- is originally from the capital city and he remembers seeing Victoria in the 1970s parked by the side of the road. "It had these fat tires..." he said. He laughed when I told him that they were his if he wanted them. I haven't been able to find anything about Victoria, but I did find some other interesting vintage vehicles (see photo above).

Lastly, on Friday I visited a foundry near my house that does brass castings. I showed them one of the hinges Roly sent me and explained that need a whole set cast. They couldn't help me with steel obviously, but they did point me to some other businesses that could help. Including the Roly piece and those available off Duncan, the only one I am missing to complete a set is the ones from the right door.

No comments: