Saturday, April 2, 2011

Much Ado About Nothing

Last weekend I went out to see that van, and do some things. I've been itching to do some hands on. Well, I took my 93 year-old father-in-law, and that was mistake. His cognition isn't too good and he's not familiar with the project. "How much did you pay for this jubk," he said. He didn't know that I have been working on it for two-plus years. I inserted some rivnuts and lamented the condition of my rear doors. In short, I did substantially nothing except misplace Aaron's tools.

Aaron has some other work that's taking priority, and I'm happy to accommodate him. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the van once I get it done. I live in a townhouse and I just don't think it can be safely stored here. So the longer I defer completion, the longer I have to figure that out. Besides, I have to find some money.

I have been measuring things over on Steve's van and making patterns out of cardboard. Above is a photo I took last weekend. I thought it might be of interest to anyone wondering what an early LHD. You can see what I mean about the van being too rusty, if you look in the top-right corner of the photo. Notice that the engine cowl is asymmetrical? It's designed for RHD. Look at the photo and imagine trying to brake with you right foot. You have to be compound fracture to do it.

I have also been working on other projects. Above is a mock-up of the first couple pages of a children's storybook I've been working on. It'll be done later this for, and I hope to raise money with it for a children's charity.

I don't know what I'm going to do about pocket doors. I really want the original look, but Steve phoned me this week asking me if -- when I get a drip rail mailed for me -- whether I could get one done for him at the same time. I don't think he's close to understanding that he's never going to do it. I have to make decisions accordinly or either help him come to that conclusion if he's going to allow me to glean the parts I want.

No comments: